Sign in to follow this  
mono

Trying to play on Linux

Posted (edited)

Hi friends. I'm trying to get TitanRO to run on linux. I'm using Playonlinux/wine and I can pretty much get to the login screen. Every time I enter my password, it waits for a bit then says "Failed to Connect to server". The patcher works so it's just the client that can't connect. Currently, instead of saying the "Failed to connect to Server" bit, it just says "Disconnected from Server".

I tried playing using a virtualbox instead but there was that issue that it can't detect my graphics card so I'm pretty much out of luck there. Anyone can point me to the right direction?

Edited by mono

One user in Discord today was having the same issue with getting the client to run in Wine, and then found a solution... but didn't quite say what the fix was. I know, not super useful, but let me try to figure out what changes/settings are required for that.

Ah, that's good to hear. I'll try to get on the discord too to watch out for it. Thanks!

On a related note, is it possible to know what's the server the client is supposed to be trying to connect to? I'm not getting any errors from wine anymore so I'm probably good on that side.

I think I remember an issue regarding private servers needing to change iptables or whatchamacallit and/or some DNS related issues back then to get wine to work.

I have also been trying to get it to work on Linux without success. Normally on private servers there would be a clientinfo.xml in the data folder, but it is missing here. That might be an issue, but then again they might just have that in the grf files, so who knows. I have already tried removing all my firewalls to see if it would connect, but no luck. The strange part is that I have tried watching the packets in Wireshark, but I dont seem to find any, so I am not even sure if it is trying to connect.

Our client info is located at sclientinfo.xml in tdata.grf. The server's IP address is 104.197.63.108.

Alright, thanks. I will see if I can see attempts at communication at that IP.

Ran Wireshark with that IP address targeted, and the client does attempt to make contact with the server. Strange.

Yeah got that too. Actually found the ip from the grf an hour ago too and compared to wireshark and it looks like it's connecting to the right ip. I'm just randomly trying other wine versions now.

Could it be something with the GepardShield? I know I've had my share of issues with it during beta, but now the emblem doesn't even show up. It also doesn't take long for the login screen to fully load (about five seconds from clicking on tRO.exe until the login screen appears), almost as if GepardShield isn't activating. Could that be locking us out of connecting to the server while still allowing us to make contact with it?

I will admit that I do not know much about programming, so I am probably way off on how that all works, but hopefully my story can spark some ideas.

I have also tried two or three different versions of wine to no avail...

I give up ;_;. I think you're right about it being related to Gepard. I've tried at least 7 wine versions, all at least silver on winedb but I couldn't get any to work. Closest I've got was really that, Failed to connect, No Gepard. I saw the chat about wine on discord but I'm not sure how to interpret it either. S/he said

got wine to work by hijacking originsRO wineskin, so the problem must be with my wine config, i'll figure this out then i can get to making a guide

I don't know how Wineskins work on mac so I'm not sure what to make of it. I've messaged the person though, hopefully it's still working on his/her side.

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm the person in question that got wineskin to work.

Here's a guide I wrote:

http://wiki.titanro.net/view/Playing_On_Mac

Hope that helps others. The biggest takeaways for me were to DOWNGRADE the engine to 1.7.55 and using the 'No Splash' file linked in that wiki.

Edited by sam
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, sam said:

Hi all,

I'm the person in question that got wineskin to work.

Here's a guide I wrote:

http://wiki.titanro.net/view/Playing_On_Mac

Hope that helps others. The biggest takeaways for me were to DOWNGRADE the engine to 1.7.55 and using the 'No Splash' file linked in that wiki.

Thank you for writing a guide, sam! I'm sure people will appreciate it :)

I tried using Wineskin on Linux, and doing everything in the guide, and then using the same Wine version without success. My PlayOnLinux is all sorts of screwed after some failed tinkering last year, so I cannot speak for that.

I've managed to get PlayOnLinux to work minus some few weird things here and there. Using 1.7.55 on a 32 bit wine prefix should work. A few things to note are to use "Emulate Virtual Desktop" in the configuration, then use use TitanRO's OpenSetup to set it to that resolution and enable fullscreen to simulate a pseudo windowed mode. I've tested the DLLs listed in Sam's guide extensively, both by installing it through winetricks exclusively, installing the POL components that match exclusively and mix&matching but I didn't see much difference compared to before I installed them.

Some few problems I've encountered so far:

Messed up fonts
As in no anti-alisiasing and sometimes just straight up boxes  in place of letters. You can still read all the things that matter and you get used to it eventually but it's there. I've tried using POL's microsoft fonts, which slightly makes it better but not really, and winetrick's does the same but never really solves it. Recently though I've been thinking it might be caused by my fontconfig so I'm not sure.

Progressively increasing stuttering everytime you move maps
Yep, not sure why it's happening yet. Everytime I move maps, it's like frame rate drops and it sticks. When I first start the client it's silky smooth like I've never played Ragnarok this smooth. A couple of map changes and the client goes into this nauseating stuttering mode. I have to restart the client. Simply doing character select doesn't work. Most of the time it's fine since I stay on the same map to grind so I just have to restart when I enter that map and I can stay there for a long time with no frame drop. But when doing quests where you enter/exit lots of buildings and maps and warp lots of times, it's annoying. Fly wing doesn't seem to affect this so it's not too bad.

No RODEX Panel
I just noticed this recently but apparently everyone has a RODEX panel. I don't. The arrow under the info window doesn't appear. Not sure what I'm missing.

So far that's all the isues I've encountered. If the client doesn't run on PlayOnLinux, you'll have to open Debug and see the errors it's spitting out. Usually you'll just have to install some 32bit libraries here and there to get them sorted out. Another is if the debug outputs something about Freetype2, you'll have to delete the libz*.so files in $HOME/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.7.55/lib.

I finally got it to work as well, but with 1.7.51 on 32 bit. I havent played around too much with it, but I am not seeing any messed up fonts as of yet. However, this might have to do with some tweaking I have been doing trying to get it to work at all, which included installing internet explorer 6.0 on it, which in turn ends up installing a ton of stuff, including a lot of font packages.

Posted (edited)

Also, I have a rodex, as far as I can tell. If you slowly move your mouse down below the info window, you will see it turn from an arrow over the info window, to a little pointer hand just below it, and eventually back to a pointer. If you click when it is the pointer finger, it brings up a dropdown menu with a bunch of impossibly small icons which I obviously cant make out. But it does seem to be there.

Edit: To note, the icons are useless. If you mouse over the empty spaces where full sized buttons SHOULD be, you will see the description text pop up, and those invisible spaces are clickable for opening the status window, equipment, etc.

Edited by Latsabb

If someone can reproduce GepardShield not starting in Wine, I have an updated version of GepardShield to try out. Please message me directly on forum or discord.

I can confirm that with the GepardShield files that Trojal supplied, the client will run in the latest (wine 3.8) version. With that latest wine version, the Rodex icon miniaturization is fixed, and the lowered framerate when switching zones is significantly lessened. On 1.7.51, it would start to become annoying on the eye due to the stutter (almost like super slow screen refresh) after 3-4 change of zones, and become unbearable after 10+. I switched between Izlude and the field next to it 10 times with the newer version, and although it didnt seem as smooth as when I first logged in, it was significantly better than just 2-3 zone changes from before.

Glad to hear this. I read Trojal's chat about 3 pending Gepard update and I was hoping it would work on the recent Wine versions. 3.8 is one of the ones I tried before and it didn't have the messed up fonts so that would be a welcome change. The only problem back then was the original "Failed to connect" issue so I'm glad that you're able to log in.