Sign in to follow this  
SabatonCBA

Trap damage nerf

The title says it all, trap damages needs a significant nerf.
No class should be allowed to solo-one-shot most of the game content for only 77 z and 10 SP. They don't even have to get gears to deal absurd amount of damages. 
As someone suggested me, the nerf should focus on lowering significantly the weight of DEX in the damage formula and maybe increase a bit the importance of INT so we still have viable specialized  trap build (with less DEX and more INT). The overall damages could be cut by at least 30%. This way they will remain viable for farming and leveling and be still be above the rest of the other classes for PvM, just a bit less absurd. 

I could also rant about their MvP potential and their PvP damages but I think we already had enough to conclude they are beyond broken right now. 

• Like 2

Agreed, the dmg should have a nice blanket nerf on MVPs.  Traps doing 25k+ is beyond stupid.  Bowling bash somehow warranted a 20% dmg nerf but hunters 1 shoting anolians and monopolizing mvps by dropping 6 traps is idiotic.

I agree and disagree with this post. 

Yes trappers badly need a straight damage nerf. No they do not need a formula change that weights their damage differently. (INT over DEX is the suggestion. ) 

to elaborate, I feel we really just need to nerf how much damage they get from the same style of build. The build is fine and stylized and makes certain gear and cards valuable like say rocker or baby desert wolf.

alternatively we COULD change the formula and have traps scale with attack as well. That way in order to do bonkers damage they would need +9/10 double carded weapons instead of skating by with just an NPC arbalest and tights. 

The biggest issue is that they require no investment to be as strong as they are and when high level are too cost efficient. this means they just need a straight damage nerf in the end. We could do a lot of interesting things, but gutting them to a more healthy damage number is a good approach. 

I dont want to see them dumpstered though, and I do think they should still be able to mvp, but there should be more cost or risk associated with what they do. Since trapping mechanics can't really fundamentally be changed, that means cost. Well we can't nerf  that either because then we nerf agi hunters. 

The only viable solution is to either nerf them or buff literally every other class' cost associated with their optimal play pattern just to compete. Monks for example shit on trappers when they are played properly, but rarely even want to do so because even when they win the trapper lost next to nothing and the monk had to invest a shit ton just to beat the trapper. Eventually monk stops showing up even when he wins because the cost is high, and the trapper keeps going no matter because why not? There's literally no downside. 

• Like 1

Changing the formula so they have to make weapons with cards to do dmg is what needs done.  If they want to do full dmg to MVPs they should require AK cards like everyone else.  If they want to 1 shot anolians, they should have to have cards for that too.  Why it's accepted for a naked hunter to run around trapping SK for 25k dmg is beyond me, yet nerfs are made to other things.

Monk players who solo mvp without lex, in absolute trash gear complaining about trap hunters, nice thread.

Posted (edited)

+1 i understand the logic stated before that their damage wont ever really get much better because they don’t scale but the gap is just gigantic currently. would be cool to see a nerf now and then reverted when trans comes out because traps will be a lot worse by comparison to trans power level

no character should do as much damage as they do completely gearless. 

Edited by snow

10 hours ago, imdog said:

Monk players who solo mvp without lex, in absolute trash gear complaining about trap hunters, nice thread.

imdog, thats totally irrelevant to the discussion. A naked trapper does ~20-24k damage per trap. I dont see any other class do that amount of damage without gear (Aside from Asura, but that takes all your SP and requires SP items to be used to farm something).

Trapper are in my opinion, far too strong. They can solo about anything and almost everyone is using them to farm gear or leech chars. Why shall I make a party, if I can farm stuff, while lvling my alts. I really hope trappers get hit with a damage nerf. They have run rampant long enough.

• Like 1

+1

Honestly do not understand how this has not been nerfed yet. Trappers are just little to no effort required. They do break PVM. I unerstand later on they may not be an issue, however it is important to look at the present. In the current state of the game, they shaped the server into nonsense. Cheesy tactics have always been a part of RO, but trapping is just lame. Not even smart. just boring.

Presently having trappers available the way they are discourages alot of things. Should be called TrapRO.

• Like 1

Trojal tried to tell me today traps have been nerfed compared to iRO on this server.  Can anyone confirm there is actually a difference with dmg?  To me it seems just as cheap.  I replied with "you mean no cash shop items" aka no pecohairband n such and he wouldn't say what the nerf supposedly is.  The dmg seems to all be there to me though.

I have both class's and can see both sides. 

I've solo'd easy mvps with both class ungeared and semi geared(not super geared) Yes you can solo at level 80ish with both class's, hard to do with other jobs (everyone forget about wiz)

Both have their postives. No doubt theyre the best choice for starting the mvp scene on a newer server with a small population.

My level 85 Hunter aint doing no 25k trap damage on mvp and he even has decent EQ. pure dex/int nothing else.

My decently geared monk is doing around 60k asura on mvp, and sp item cost quite a bit/hard to find. He is more of a woe build with 60 VIT so you can add in damage for a pure mvp build.

Trap hunter in pvm needs expensive gear to stay cheap. Heal/Tele clip are a must(Hello 10-12mil)(unless you dual client everywhere), or you'll be spending a lot on potions/flywings/rodex taxes. 

in pvp/bg hunters are there own weakness. Have a trap hunter killing everyone? Bring in a DS hunter to take care of him.

The nerf comes from having no Mount, Peco hairband, Res tokens, Speed pots (trap hunter's die a lot, 8 of 20 top death on server are hunter) 

Restart had those items and it made trapper a true solo god class.

At most i'd say give it the BB treatment and cut a bit of damage %. Cheers.

Every class benefit from a teleport clip, speed pots, peco hairband and resurection tokens... This is not a nerf toward trap hunters at all. wtf?

They die a lot because they're used to MvP (rez trap trap die - rez trap trap die...) 

Once again, the problem is not their ability to MvP, but the fact they can solo every map, and one shot pretty much all the monsters of the game at no cost. Their leveling speed is absurd, they don't need gears and they have an almost infinite sustain.

A class that kites for a living benefits the most from those items. A Knight doesn't benefit from a mount, peco hairband, and speed pot, the hunter becomes easy mode with those. They're def nerfed from restart days. Res token yes every class benefits especially the squishy trap hunters who claim most deaths on this server. Not every class benefit from tele clip. I've never seen a Monk or priest class buy one.

I agree a slight % nerf would be okay, it would help competition (if any this server) compete during mvps. But what about pvm... Do you want to nerf the trap damage so it still can 1 shot or force them to use 2 traps per anolian etc? Would 30% be enough to guaruntee they'd have to use 2 traps?

I don't think the whole one shot anolians should exist. The dmg is just ridiculous. I also don't think there is the point in discussing this though sadly. Look at knights for example, 20% nerf to bb damage because they were op with unlimited hp/sp potions on restart. Neither exist here. This nerf still occurred effectively ruining the class and here we are discussing trap hunters one shotting end game mobs and 8 shoting bosses with 0 gear and practically 0 cost.

Nothing will be done about it just like how knights remain neutered. 

Thanks for the helpful feedback about trap damage. I believe that trap hunters would still be fun while doing less damage for the equipment/time/cost investment, and we're looking at ways to adjust the damage to be more balanced, but it will be a few weeks until we see any changes.

• Haha 1