Charlie Loves U

The Server Needs Incentive For Daily Login

Currently the server population appears to be getting lower and lower over time. I have seen many of my guild members quit and leave the server even after heavy investment. This is to be expected with any server, but it seems a lot of it is purely out of boredom.

The things we really can't fix right now are lack of content and balance. Changing the way the game fundamentally works too harsh might ruin our long term health ANYWAY even if it does fix our short term health. That said, we can make some investment in changes that encourage people to login more regularly. We've had a lot of players come in and try it, and even like the server, but they have no reason to login every day besides spotlights. even if they aren't fully geared. We are a pretty low rate server with absolutely no p2w which means you legit do have to grind everything you want. Combine that with our low pop and the market being garbage right now, and you have recipe for people getting frustrated and quitting. I personally like our server set up, and think we can fix the amount of people leaving or just not logging in anymore. Here are the ideas:

1. Daily Login Reward (Like Nova RO)

If you haven't seen Nova RO's daily login reward system I highly recommend checking it out. It forces you to stay logged in for at least 1 consecutive hour on 1 character to receive the reward, but the rewards are pretty good and they get exponentially better. after 30 daily rewards they get a pretty good reward for their server (Mystical Card Album I believe). I don't know if we should go to that extreme with the rewards, but perhaps finishing 30 days with an OCA and decent stuff along the way (has to be good enough to warrant logging in for, not just pots or whatever). Either way, I'm not sure on the specifics of how you would balance the rewards, but what I'm stress is moreso the idea here. Alternatively you can also make the reward mediocre if you only play an hour, decent if you play two hours, and pretty good if you play 3 hours. The key is to fluctuate the daily login rewards every day as well and make them different and fresh. You could perhaps have tiers of items based on the previous like spotlight monsters have tiers (high exp, mid exp, low exp) and then just have it automatically shuffle the rewards daily. There are a lot of ways to make daily login rewards, but they are very encouraging for playing more. 

2.) Weekly Events or Bi-Weekly events for costumes or temporary event buff costumes/headgear

On official servers they usually do weekly or bi-weekly events that give people something that is exclusive to the window they are logged in. Exclusivity will always encourage people to log on and play during that time because its a chance that won't always be there. That's just proven in all aspects of anything. Sales in business use it to pitch to people of "don't miss out on this once in a life time deal" even. I think having weekly events is fun even if they are simple or just implement a costume. It adds more to do and right now there isn't enough to do. iRO has all kinds of fun events that implement interesting things that may be "op" but are temporary. Or they could just be for a unique costume that you won't be able to get alter. Think like The Super Cute Dog Hat on restart (although that one is an extreme example and completely broken) and the idea of it temporarily buffing use of meat. Either way, there should always be stuff going all the time and you can plan for weekly or bi weekly events in advance so when the patches come they are ready to go. You can also do this with the former cash shop gears as temporary items (like rideword hat, snake head, etc.) that can be turned into costumes at the end, but I think there are better more fun ways to implement those items into the game potentially. (that I won't get into right now since its not a part of this post)

3.) Party Seeking NPC 

I'm not sure how this would be implemented or if its even possible. But an Idea I had is to create an NPC or Queue for finding people to play with. I know we have #party, but it would be cool if you could simply set into an npc or queue (like with battlegrounds) and list yourself as a specific class and type of that class. An example of this would be, say you are a bard looking for a party you could put that you are a bard, level 74 and be placed in the queue while you go play. Other players can form their own parties and put seeking bard with a level range. Then you would automatically get a notification to join their party once they put themselves in the queue as well. Notifications for both to confirm, and then they can communicate through party chat. So it would look something like:

Form Party (75-8 range)

HAVE:

Wizard 75
Priest 82
Knight 83
Dance 79

WANT (Range 60-90):

Knight
Crusader
Bard

Or alternatively we could have it set up an npc where you can look up who is looking for what party and then message them if it too complicated to implement automatic partying.  I know that this entire idea is likely a pipe dream, but I'm just dumping all my ideas down because I might as well.

4.) More Fun zeny Sinks

With spotlight rotations being a good idea overall, the server is rapidly inflating. We need zeny sinks and without socket enchant coming, the big one is not yet here. I personally think we need more fun and interesting zeny sinks that help keep inflation down overall. It can be convenience items like Beelzebub Wing, Heavy Lifter Box, Halter Lead, etc. Or you can have a convert headgear into costume(that also removes the stats). You can maybe also implement card de-socket etc. Just right now we are massively inflating and it is not good for the server imo. Need ways to dump our zeny and make it disappear off the server. It will also encourage more grinding rather than players just sitting on mounds of zeny. Because unlike other servers where you have tons of zeny but it gets put around on different players, on this server people just hold onto their zeny for a super rare card or gear. Nothing good ever hits the market so when it does thats when the zeny changes hands. But as a result the zeny isn't spread out and the gap between the strongest players and the weaker ones is noticeable. 

5.) Increase Drop Rates of Gear/Cards to 5x (leave other drops normal) and increase MVP drops to 2x

This one is more of a last resort for me on this list and I think we should try everything else to get more players active. But this one might help ease the pain of grinding on a low rate server with low population. I've lost many players in my guild with one even yesterday saying "I love this server, but I don't have the time. I can't do it". And he wasn't complaining. But he genuinely doesn't have the time with a life and kids. And that's a lot of players. RO's player base is older and we have jobs/families/lives. We can't just grind for a week for 1 card. People want some pay off or the ability to at least buy what they are looking for. I believe this guildy farmed 1 item for over a week, didn't get it. and not a single one hit the market for it. And that's not healthy for the server. If we had higher player population with maps being farmed more often it would be ok. These rates are fine, but in the current state you either no life it and grind it out yourself over potentially 1 week + or just give up getting the item. I know this is actually debatable and there are strong arguments for both sides, but higher drops even slightly would help ease the pain a lot. Often time spotlight mobs feel less painful to get their gear/card but you still have to grind to get it. MVP are also straight up not being killed as much as they should and we went over this in the other thread. Higher drops overall could be a good last resort to ease the pain of farming on this server for more casual players who still love low rates, but don't necessarily have the time to be super hardcore. (and yes 5x is still relatively low rate)

• Like 1

We discussed this on Discord a bit, I'd like to go into detail on my suggestion for increasing rare drops only (related to point 5).

If we had 5x drop rates, that would bring a ton of Zeny to the server (Sleeper spotlight all day every day, minus increased spawns) and probably wouldn't do much for people's will to hunt rares (since Zeny farming is so easy).

So I'd suggest reverse logarithmic growth for drop rates instead, which wouldn't do much to common items, but would make rares easier to farm. E.g.

new drop rate = old drop rate in percent * (((ln(100)/7)+1) - (ln(old drop rate)/7))

That would turn 50% into 54.96%, but 0.03% into 0.06%. Incubus drop table would become:

Mastela Fruit	43.84%	-	White Herb	92.13%	-	Incubus Horn	0.06%
Ring[1]		0.06%	-	Gold Ring	7.05%	-	Diamond Ring	6.40%
White Herb	57.37%	-	Incubus Card	0.06%

(for comparison, this is what it is now)

Mastela Fruit	38.59%	-	White Herb	90.89%	-	Incubus Horn	0.03%
Ring[1]		0.03%	-	Gold Ring	4.93%	-	Diamond Ring	4.43%
White Herb	52.54%	-	Incubus Card	0.03%

Thoughts?

i think that 0.5% for cards and 5x to usable gears would be fine dont need to create a formula unless this is easier to program

I think increasing the drop rates to 5x isnt such a bad idea.  With the amount of players that we have right now, I don't see any reasons as to why we shouldn't raise it.

If we really do want to make some changes to the server, here are some things I would recommend:

1.  Custom Quest.   (Purpse:  Exp and Item)

2.  Custom Instances.   (Purpose:  EXP and Gear)

3.  Costume Headgear Quest.  (Purpose: TO LOOK KAWAII)

4.  Implement more stuff similar to Izlude Arena for Individual / Duo / 5 Man Team/ etc....

Current Izlude arena is only for Individual, Acolyte, Priest, 5 Man Team.  The timer doesn't reset every week like it's suppose to.  The points received for higher level arena is too low, and           not worth it.  Recommend making the points received to be more when doing higher level arena.

5.  THIS IS FROM ME (A CRUSADER) TO ALL MY FELLOW CRUSADERS!!!!!! MAKE STROUF INSTANT SPAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much. :)

i didnt see that chalie had posted smth earlier i dont think that every type of item should be 5x only cards and gears and maybe not all gears cuz some of them are just to sell on npc

Zeny sink is not necessary. if u have a quest that's very desirable new players can just farm the item needed and make zeny that way. So with new players having a zeny source zeny sink isnt as needed

i told you when i quit, this server will be dead in 2 months. it's only been a month now and i see the average online population consists of 50 merchants, 30 dual clients, and maybe 70 actual players playing the game and nothing has been done to rectify the situation.

it's unfortunate that you invested so much time into the server, sorry for your loss.

oath out

7 hours ago, branqor said:

i told you when i quit, this server will be dead in 2 months. it's only been a month now and i see the average online population consists of 50 merchants, 30 dual clients, and maybe 70 actual players playing the game and nothing has been done to rectify the situation.

it's unfortunate that you invested so much time into the server, sorry for your loss.

oath out

Regardless of whether server dies, I have no regrets of my time spent here. I have had a lot of fun, and will continue to have fun. if it does indeed die, so be it. I will never look back on time I've enjoyed as time wasted. 

I agree a lot, especially with 4.) More Fun zeny Sinks.

As for increasing the rate... I think the best would be:

- All server 5x drop.

- MVP 3x drop.

Maybe for like... 3 months or something. And then we see what happens. I think most of the problems of the server relies on low pop. Increasing the rates and bringing the trans asap would bring more (and loyal) people to the server and heat up the market. Once you've done it, lower the rates to what it was before (although I think the MVP drops, hydra card, oridecon, etc should all be 3x).

• Like 2

Increase rate a little maybe? Things are so expensive that i have to hunt them myself, but grinding 10h/day for a week to get a card is just insane..

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There are some good cards that drop from weak monsters like Pupa, Poring(Good for forgers and alchemists), Drops and Fabre which are truly lacking since no one hunts such low levelled monsters.

I was thinking of creating a "Weak Card Album" which can give a card from a monster thats level 10 or bellow. Giving this Weak OCA as one of daily login bonuses  could increase the number of cards from weak monsters in server .

Since there would be many useless ones mixed in, it's not like the server would overflow with them.

Also, about the login rewards, the must be something to prevent others from creating accounts just to get the login rewards.

Edited by kadzu

The daily login time spent online scaling reward idea is awful. Just rewards people living on the game while putting others behind more. It also inspires signing up mass amounts of accounts to exploit this. 

The major problem with this server is they are under the assumption the players are kids coming home from middle school n playing all day/night. Everything about this server is setup to drag out and cost as much of your time as possible. Bounty boards were nerfed to drag out the leveling process. The drop rates suck to drag out farming time. The mvping drop rates are awful to...... Drag out obtaining anything from bosses. 

Soon as this is mentioned though you have people that enjoy this setup flipping shit saying omggg play a new server or omggg you signed up knowing the rates. They will defend this to the bitter end because they get to feel rewarded for spending 10 hours a day farming. They end up rich while others that work or have families end up with nothing. I'm not saying how they play is wrong. What I am saying is that model works for a small portion of the population.

When I signed up for this server I thought ehhhh those rates are a little low but it has bounty boards and there were a bunch of people hyped up and alot of accounts made on day 1. That I could go mvp and make money, buy stuff I need that I can't spend 9 hours farming n so on. 

Then after playing here a bit bounty boards were completely ruined making leveling alot more painful than it was originally advertised to be. So the whole you signed up knowing rates doesn't cover these awful rates at all since it ended up being a bait n switch after certain people got to abuse it. 

As for drop rates, as I said server was hyped, people expected a much larger population. The rates would have been acceptable with a proper population. The people making decisions need to accept we don't have this population and change needs to occur. No one wants to join or stick around to farm 9 hours per item just to find it damn near impossible to buy 9 out of 10 items after you end up with zeny to spend. Low lvl items are non existent on this server as well. If you want a pupa enjoy 0 experience for 10 hours +. Same with fabre n such. This design does not work without a proper population or bots. No I'm not asking for bots either before some moron says that. Simply put no one kills anything on this server outside of spot lights and nothing exists to buy.

11 hours ago, Tyrant said:

The daily login time spent online scaling reward idea is awful. Just rewards people living on the game while putting others behind more. It also inspires signing up mass amounts of accounts to exploit this. 

to clarify, there is a cap based on how much time you spend. like 1-3 hours, with each hour increasing your reward to something better in this scenario. Also the daily rewards should be locked by IP. I also think we should look into getting "master" accounts like Origins if that is possible. (might not be, might just be too late for that). But there are definitely cases it could be abused, but the idea is there and it can be refined. just like any idea I put down or anyone else puts down should be. 

Posted (edited)

I think a better solution would be a daily quest of some sort instead of spend X amount of time doing probably nothing but artificially inflating server numbers to get your reward.  The goal i assume is to get people on doing something meaningful with each other such as partying or w/e.  The time based one will just get people online not really doing anything.  It would look cute on control panel seeing more than 100 players but ultimately wouldn't create parties or anything which IMO is one of the major problems here.

Perhaps a decent solution would be a bounty board quest that ACTUALLY gives good exp that people feel compelled to login to do daily?  Something that inspires party play.

Edited by Tyrant
  • Like 1