Sign in to follow this  
Llamacorn

Balance Changes re: Stat Foods as BG Rewards

This post is meant to be a discussion regarding balance changes for stat foods as BG rewards.  

Below is a quote from Trojal on what is decided so far.

Trojal

“Hmm we haven't decided much yet except the "default" pserver reward of +10 stat food is too much for our server balance. Likely it'd be +3, +5, or +7 available through BG (just one value for all foods, undecided yet)”

I am going to list out my thoughts regarding the cooking system and balances in regards to BG rewards.

1) I am happy that the team realizes that the reward of +10 is too much. 

Level 10 is too much because the ingredient list for level 10 foods are very costly ( (https://irowiki.org/wiki/Cooking ); the level 10 cookbook is a card drop rate off maya purple. Level 10 foods should “feel” rewarding to make, and if BGs gave level 10 foods it would undermine the cooking system tremendously.

2) I think the BG rewards for food should be +5 and here is why:

a) If the server is going to offer foods as a reward for BGs it should feel “worth it” to get.  Level 3 seems too minor for stats (even though hardcore players would most likely get level 3 foods).  Level 5 seems like a good middle-ground and worth the badges.

b) Why level 5 and not 7? The way that cooking works is that you can get cookbooks level 1-5 from a npc.  Cookbooks level 6-10 need to be hunted in game.  If the BG reward offered 7, it would essentially make the level 6 and 7 cookbooks “useless”.  Sure you can use foods in PVE, but most people care about stat foods for WoE.

c) Listed below is a food chart list of what I think is the most cost/time efficient foods to make (the list excludes the NPC items require.  As you can see (referring to chart below), they are still difficult to make.   Level 7 stat foods from BGs would make it pointless to hunt for any of these items.  The majority of the foods that are “worth it” to make only go to +8 (refer to https://irowiki.org/wiki/Cooking if you want to compare ingredient lists for other foods)

3) Additional ideas for balance changes.

a) Pope mentioned the idea of changing player made foods to 1 and adding a weight to BG foods.  I dislike this idea because you only need to carry 1 or two foods for the half hr duration (similar to an awakening potion).  The weight change would not be enough of a downside to validate player made foods even if they weighed 1.

b) I think it would be interesting if player made food did NOT dispel on death (like how elemental endows from sages were changed).  Regardless of any level of BG reward food, I think it would still be worth it for player made foods to exist if they did not dispel.

Please feel free to comment and give any further suggestions on this post.  I really love the cooking system in RO and I think it’s very underrated.  It’s super fun and I love going to different places to hunt ingredients. 

Thanks for checking this post out.

- Llamacorn / Magisight in discord and in game.

Stat Food

Stats

Ingredients

Lutie Lady’s Pancake*

+5 Str

2 Honey

Bearfoot Special

+8 Str

20 Bear’s Footskin
2 Aloe Leaflet
1 Hinalle Leaflet

Spicy Fried Bao

+5 Vit

20 Bao
10 Yellow Herb
20 Green Herb

Sumptuous Feast

+7 Vit

10 Fish Tail
10 Mane
5 Aloe Leaflet

Red Mushroom Wine

+6 Int

3 Grape Juice
20 Mushroom Spore
1 Alcohol

Special Toast

+8 Dex

10 Cheese
10 Strawberry
2 Royal Jelly

Chile Shrimp Gratin

+6 Agi

20 Lemon

Steamed Alligator with Vegetable

+7 Agi

10 Anolian Skin
10 Aloe Leaflet
10 Yellow Herb

Incredibly Spicy Curry

+8 Agi

1 Aloevera
10 Hinalle Leaflet

Special meat Stew

+9 Agi

20 Shoot

5 Royal Jelly

Strawberry Flavored Rice Ball

+8 Luk

10 Strawberry
10 Fig Leaf

I think 50 weight food is significant, and since most classes use 3 or 4 stat foods, that is quite a lot of carrying space, especially on low str classes.  So being able to carry all foods required for woe at the same time is quite good if you ask me.  However, 3b is an interesting idea that I like a lot.  

Regarding the post in general, I think your logic is sound and I mostly agree with the points you make.  I do feel you are in the minority of people who really enjoy hunting items for foods though haha.  It was always more of an obligation in my eyes rather than something I enjoyed.  I would venture a guess to say the players of this server probably feel the same way, but I could be wrong.

while the logic sound and i would agree with you in almost any scenario.,, (doing more stuff is fun always) we are low pop and the chances of people getting the time to even consider farming +10 foods over doing more important stuff is very low. we barely have enough time to gear up ourselves, pot for woe, and hell the mvp scene is pretty weak right now.